We would like to hear your thoughts on bait boats and fish finders. The following are some points to consider if you are looking to buy a bait boat:
- Are electronic boats which allow you to drop burley in a certain area or place your line where it would be difficult to cast.
- Some bait boats also have a fish finder which gives you a digital read out of the concentration of fish under your bait boat.
- Bait boats are very controversial when it some to carp fishing, some people love them an others hate them. Especially if the bait boat has a fish finder option.
- Some carp angling purists see it as cheating. Casting your line in a precise spot is one of the most difficult aspects of the sport of carp angling. Using a fish finder can also be considered as not real carp angling.
- It can be argued that selecting the right spot to place your line is also a skill.
- Using a fish finder is considered by some as simply using technology to improve your chances of catching fish.
- The problem is some people who use bait boats think that they can place their line wherever they want. Although they normally have a limited range, some have a range up roughly 300 yards. As you can imagine this can cause conflict amongst anglers which is far from ideal.
- They can also be visually distracting and make the environment less peaceful.
- Personally I think bait boats should only be used occasionally where it is not going to negatively affect other anglers.
- The above picture is a good example of when a bait boat can be used whilst not upsetting other anglers.
The video below shows a bait boat dropping the rig into the water and unloading burley.